FUDforum provides out of the box support for Oracle databases starting with FUDforum 3.0.2 and higher releases.
Several Oracle Database Editions are available to cater for different requirements. For example, Oracle Express Edition (XE) is a free (no-cost) database that can be used for small to mid-size forums with tens of thousands of posts. Oracle Enterprise Edition, on the other hand, is suited toward high-end forums that requires enterprise scalability and high availability.
Use the below steps to install FUDforum on Oracle Express Edition:
- Restart the system (not sure why this is needed, but things doesn't work properly with the 11g beta version if you don't).
- Create a database schema. You can use the APEX Web interface, SQL Developer GUI or SQL*Plus command line for this. We will us the command line. Start "Start SQL Command line" and enter:
SQL> CONNECT / AS SYSDBA
SQL> CREATE USER fuddb IDENTIFIED BY fudpass;
SQL> GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE TO fuddb;
- If you don't have a web server with PHP installed, please install it now. We recommend installing a LAMP stack like XAMPP.
- Download and start FUDforum's installer. On the first screen, ensure Oracle is listed as a supported database. If not you may need to uncomment "extension=php_oci8.dll" in your php.ini and restarted the web server to get it listed. When done, click on "Start installer" on the first screen.
- Enter directories where FUDforum should be installed (or just accept the defaults) and click on "Next".
- Select database type "Oracle" and enter host=127.0.0.1, User=fuddb, Password=fudpass, database=XE and click "Next".
- Complete the installation. Accept default cookie and theme settings and click "Next" each time. The last step is to enter a fudforum admin user.